Best Pre-Workout Supplements
Chasing a Great Pump? Want to Train With More Intensity? These Pre-Workouts Are for You
The AskMen editorial team thoroughly researches & reviews the best gear, services and staples for life. AskMen may get paid if you click a link in this article and buy a product or service.
There’s nothing like a great workout.
It feels awesome, it provides great stress-relief, and it’s good for you. But if you’ve been feeling “meh” about your performance (or exhausted by the time you walk into the gym), it might be time to try a pre-workout supplement to help you get through your workouts and get results for your hard work.
So which ones do you choose? Which ones are safe and which ones make you feel like you’re going to explode from the inside-out? We've got you covered. Read on and make an informed decision based on the facts, pricing, and results.
RELATED: Best Tasting Protein Powder
- Get more energy. Showing up to the gym after 11 hours at work and need a boost of energy? You are NOT alone. Many people have a tough time finding the energy to do an intense workout for an hour-plus. That's where a quality pre-workout supp comes in handy.?
- Work out harder and longer. The stronger and fitter you are, the harder your workouts have to be to get results. So if you want something to help power you through a crushing training session, the caffeine in many pre-workouts can help increase physical endurance and performance.
- Burn more fat. Pre-workouts usually include caffeine anhydrous and green tea extract, which actually helps you burn more calories during your workout. (That ain’t a bad thing.)
- Increase your muscle gain. With key ingredients like BCAAs, these supps can help improve muscle protein synthesis.
What to Avoid in a Pre-Workout
- Unnecessary bullsh*t ingredients. Sometimes, companies add a lot of fillers and ingredients with ZERO science support. Avoid products loaded with fluff like maltodextrin, artificial flavors, and other stuff that won’t help you in your workout.
- Supplements with many bad reviews. “The proof is in the pudding,” and one of the easiest ways to find a good supplement is to read reviews by real people who actually used it. A few negative reviews aren’t much to worry about (especially the dumb ones like, “I ordered the wrong flavor so I gave it a 1 star”), but when you read a long list of complaints, avoid it. There are so many to choose from; why pick the one that gives you a heart attack?
- Artificial sweeteners. Many pre-workouts still use artificial sweeteners like aspartame and sucralose — just to be safe, I’d avoid them.
- “Proprietary blends.” That’s just the manufacturer’s way of saying, “LOL.” Avoid.
Our Favorite Pre-Workout Supplements
Many pre-workout supplements either load up on a bunch of useless, untested ingredients, or else supply the good stuff in inadequate amounts. SHIFTED breaks the mold by focusing on five main goals (increasing energy, focus, and muscle stamina, combating fatigue, and improving body composition), and relying only on the tried-and-true ingredients like caffeine, taurine, Citrulline, Beta-Alanine and, of course, creatine monohydrate. As for taste, the Berry flavor goes down easily, without the chemical aftertaste of so many competing brands.
$49.95 at Amazon.com
GHOST Legend V2 Pre-Workout
GHOST is a relative late-comer to the supplement business, but that hasn't stopped them from making a giant splash. Combining the right ingredients in the right quantities with delicious flavors, often exactly replicating their flavor inspiration (yes, Sour Patch Kids fans, you read that right!), these supplements taste like candy but perform with the very best in the industry.?
$44.99 at Amazon.com
Legion Pulse Pre-Workout
Pulse Pre-Workout supplement is our top choice because it contains zero unnecessary fillers, zero artificial sweeteners, and zero dyes. Every ingredient has solid amounts and actually benefits your goals. It’s simple to take and, oh, it boasts thousands of positive reviews. Each tub contains 21 servings of pre-workout scoopable powder, which gives you three weeks of pre-workout power and is available in three flavors.
$34.99 at Amazon.com
Vintage Blast Natural Pre-Workout
Maybe you’ve seen their ads floating around social media lately? Well, this pre-workout supp has gained a lot of popularity.?With over 3,000 positive reviews on their all-natural, two-stage pre-workout, it’s a pretty good bet that it’s a quality product with no added junk. Vintage Blast flavors their pre-workout with a blend of pineapple, blueberry, and stevia leaf extract so you get natural flavors --?and nothing else --?in their 20-serving container.
$39.99 at Amazon.com
MRM Driven Pre-Workout
MRM's pre-workout supplement offers a mix of energy and focus to help you reach peak performance during your workouts. It gets the best value mark from us because you get a good amount of it (28 servings) for a relatively small price. It also gives you extra stamina, promotes hydration, and even helps improve your muscle recovery.?
$21.29 at Amazon.com
Organic Muscle Pre-Workout
Organic Muscle is another all-natural pre-workout. It offers several testosterone-boosting ingredients and energy-driving additions like green tea extract and matcha.?But this pre-workout isn't your typical supplement — it works in a different way using herbs like ginseng, maca root, and much more. This 20-serving supplement actually tastes great too.?
$54.99 at Amazon.com
Thermo Pre is a solid option if you are looking to boost your energy levels and burn some extra fat via thermogenesis.?It contains no artificial ingredients or fillers, just stuff to help you get through your workout and see results. This 30 serving pre-workout contains an array of aminos, effective ingredients, and caffeine from natural sources to boost your focus and energy.
$27.99 at Amazon.com
You Might Also Dig: